Last revised: April 7, 2022
We are World Resources Institute, a global research nonprofit headquartered at 10 G Street NE Suite 800, Washington, D.C. 20002, USA (together with our affiliates and subsidiaries, “WRI”, “we”, “our” or “us”).
Our organization and network of affiliates spans more than 50 countries. You may interact with WRI online through various websites, applications (including the TerraMatch app), emails, social media pages and other online services (collectively, “Services”).
- we use your personal information when you visit our website, communicate with us, or provide us with your personal information in other ways; and
- we respect your personal information privacy rights.
Personal Information We Collect
We collect different kinds of information from you, depending on how you interact with us.
Online collection: We collect personal information from you when you register to receive email communications, make donations, apply for jobs, send email inquiries, register for events, or participate in other parts of our Services.
Depending on the Services you interact with, the information collected may vary and may include, for example:
- Identifiers and contact details you choose to provide, such as your name and email address;
- Emails, messages, posts, and other communications and information you choose to share via email or over social media;
- Payment information;
- Location information: WRI rarely collects location information about you. In some cases, we may ask for information about your location for limited purposes. For example, users of the TerraMatch application may enable collection of geolocation information on their mobile devices in order to map the boundaries of a proposed tree planting project. This location data collected on TerraMatch is not used for any other purpose or shared with or sold to third parties;
- Educational and employment information (such as your resume or C.V.) that you may provide if you apply for a job at WRI;
- Automatically collected information: We and our third-party service providers may collect information about your interaction with our Services using cookies and similar automatic data-collection technology. We use this information to improve and maintain our Services, collect aggregate site usage reports that do not identify you individually, and to optimize site users’ experience on the Services. The information we collect includes:
- Identifiers like IP address and device and browser information.
- Website and application activity information like clicks, content and page views, internet service provider, browser version, domain type.
- Anonymous or aggregated information: We may use aggregate or deidentified data that doesn’t identify you for any lawful business purpose.
Manage Cookie Preference (some privacy tools or ad blockers might prevent this tool from running)
Offline collection: We also collect personal information from you when you provide us with it at conferences or similar events. Such personal information will typically consist of your organizational or personal contact details, donation information, or other information you choose to give us.
List of Cookies that May Be Set
|Associated with Google Universal Analytics to distinguish unique users by assigning a randomly generated number as a client identifier.
|Used to persist session state.
|This cookie is used to detect the first pageview session of a user. This is a True/False flag set by the cookie.
|This is set to identify a new user’s first session. It stores a true/false value, indicating whether this was the first time Hotjar saw this user. It is used by Recording filters to identify new user sessions.
|A cookie that holds the current session data. This ensues that subsequent requests within the session window will be attributed to the same Hotjar session.
|When the Hotjar script executes we try to determine the most generic cookie path we should use, instead of the page hostname. This is done so that cookies can be shared across subdomains (where applicable). To determine this, we try to store the _hjTLDTest cookie for different URL substring alternatives until it fails. After this check, the cookie is removed.
|Identifies the language for custom components, surveys, and flows, which support multiple languages. Without this cookie, translations for custom features can appear incorrectly.
|User session cookie
|User session signature cookie
|Stores the user's current consent status.
|Stores the user's unique consent identifier.
Our Use of Your Information
We use the personal information we collect about you for any of the following purposes:
- providing, developing, improving and maintaining our Services;
- handling, processing, and communicating with you about donations and other ways to contribute to WRI’s mission;
- registering you for a WRI Service, including on a particular WRI website;
- providing you with updates, newsletters, data, other research, and/or donation-related communications you have requested;
- responding to your inquiries and requests;
- generating anonymous reports about use of our Services and their features;
- enabling TerraMatch users to map the boundaries of a tree planting project;
- allowing you to take part in Service features, and WRI campaigns, projects, events, or surveys;
- analyzing the use of our services or technologies; and
- considering you for employment if you have provided personal information pursuant to an application for a job with WRI.
Outreach and communications
Where you consent, we use your personal information to provide you with communications about WRI, including, but not limited to email communications or information about WRI projects around the world and ways that you can contribute to our efforts.
We send such communications by:
- social media messages; and
- any other medium which becomes relevant from time to time.
You can opt-out of receiving communications from WRI at any time by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by following the unsubscribe instructions in our communications. However, we may still need to contact you for important administrative reasons, such as in the event of a material change to our Services, related policies, or accounts you create with us.
Disclosure of Information
Personal information is disclosed to the following parties:
- to employees and independent contractors of WRI, analytic vendors, payment processing vendors, third party agents and other service providers and suppliers if the disclosure will enable that party to perform a business, professional, or technical support function for WRI or to perform a service that you have requested;
- to and between entities within the WRI group;
- where you give us permission to disclose your personal information to third parties selected by us in connection with our projects and campaigns;
- if we are required to do so to comply with a legal requirement or request from a competent court, regulator or other authority;
- where we deem it necessary, in our sole discretion, to protect our legal rights or property or the legal rights or property of an individual who registers with an WRI service or technology or any third party, or to prevent personal injury; and/or
- in connection with a sale, merger, assignment, reorganization, joint venture or other transfer or disposition of a portion or all of our assets or our affiliated entities (including, without limitation, in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We also disclose non-private, aggregate or otherwise non-personal information to third parties, including social media companies like Facebook and Twitter for outreach purposes.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that any personal information about you that we pass to a service provider or other third party will be held securely by that party and only be used for the purposes for which it was provided to them. Except as noted above, information we collect from WRI website visitors will not be shared with individuals or other companies unrelated to WRI, or that do not perform a business, professional or technical function for WRI.
Security and Quality
WRI takes reasonable steps to protect the personal information that you provide. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. For example, we store the personal information you provide on secured computer servers that are located in controlled facilities. Additionally, when we transmit sensitive personal information over the internet, we protect it through the use of appropriate technological and administrative means.
We do our best to maintain the accuracy of any personal information you supply to us. You can help WRI update and maintain the accuracy of any personal information you supply by notifying WRI of any changes to your address, title, phone number or e-mail address. In some parts of the Services you may do this online by following the instructions on membership profile pages. You may also do this by using the contact information provided below.
Transmission of information on the internet is not completely secure, and we cannot guarantee the security of information sent on our Services. Transmission of such information is at your own risk.
Links to External Devices
Personal Information Access and Deletion
You may request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. You may also request that we delete the information we hold about you. Please address requests (with a return email address where possible) to:
Or by post to:
World Resources Institute
10 G Street NE, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20002
Attn: General Counsel
Information for individuals located in the European Economic Area
Basis of processing: Where you make a donation to WRI and give us your personal information to receive communications related to your donation, we process your personal information based on your consent. Likewise, when we collect device location data from a TerraMatch user’s device in order to map a planting project, we do so only with your consent. When you have made a past donation and have not objected to marketing communications, and we send you information about how you can continue to support WRI, we process your personal information based on legitimate interest. Where you give us your personal information for any other reason, we process your personal information for our legitimate business purposes to respond to your requests (for example, providing you with access to our websites or providing you with newsletter communications that you have requested);
Donation Processing Partner
WRI has partnered with a third-party service provider, iATS Payments, to process your online donations. Where you make a donation to WRI online, your personal information will be shared between WRI and iATS Payments as necessary to complete your donation, communicate with you about your donation, and as may be necessary to comply with our legal obligations. Information provided to iATS Payments is not used for any other purposes.
Changes, Oversight and Questions
World Resources Institute
10 G Street NE, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20002